The Rock


The railway town of The Rock is the eastern gateway to the Lockhart Shire. An easy drive along Olympic Highway, 25km south of Wagga Wagga and 96km north of Albury, the character of the town is derived from its wide park-like main thoroughfare and the visual domination of The Rock Hill that lies immediately south of the town.

In the main street (Urana Street) silky oak trees were planted in 1920 following World War I, creating an Avenue of Honour, one for each soldier in the district who served his country. In later years when the silky oaks required replacing, hardier kurrajong trees were planted. Today, the kurrajongs provide a magnificent canopy of shade.

Enjoy lunch in one of the eateries, picnic in the pretty park or take a wander through the quaint old shops before taking a drive around to see the cluster of beautiful little churches, each with their own appealing character.

Country link rail services including the XPT passenger train still service The Rock, which is steadily growing due to its close proximity to the largest inland city in New South Wales, Wagga Wagga.

Download a Map of The Rock (Click on map to enlarge)


Looking Back - The History of The Rock

The Rock had its first recorded mention as a pastoral station or "run" (Hanging Rock Station) in 1847, at which time the property covered over 25,600 acres, with a capacity of 4000 sheep.

The Robertson Land Acts of the 1860s brought closer settlement, as did the opening of the railway line from Sydney. In 1901 the first train pulled out of Hanging Rock (later called Kingston, then The Rock).

The railway saw the growth of The Rock village, which until this time consisted of a crossroads, tavern, railway line with three buildings and workers’ camp. The Rock had entered its golden years and the town flourished.

Many community groups were active during this period, and despite the difficulties of the people due to lack of manpower during the years of the Great War, progress continued in the region and The Rock was a thriving centre.

The great prosperity of The Rock ended with the onset of the depression and the ensuing Second World War. Times were hard and the remains of a 1930s bag camp, known as Tent City, survives near The Rock to this day.

Improved roads and the decreasing use of Country Rail systems meant small towns like The Rock lost their employment infrastructures to larger regional centres.

Strangely enough, it has been the very things that came close to destroying the township of The Rock in the 1950s that has led to the towns’ gradual revival. The Rock’s closeness to Wagga Wagga means people can commute to work daily while still enjoying, the small town atmosphere and favourable land prices.